Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Bottle Filling Stations


Bottle Filling Station in the University Center Cafe.
Photo by Ammie Lin

In 2011, Adelphi University installed bottle filling stations all over campus for the community to refill and reuse water bottles in an effort to "go green."  The purpose is to save the earth and save money simultaneously.  However, are students taking advantage of these bottle filling stations?  Are the stations maintained properly?

Garbage and Recyling Bins Located
Next to Bottle Filling Station.
Photo by Ammie Lin. 
One bottle filling station is located in the University Center (UC) Café, which seems to be a great place to have one.  However, garbage and recycling bins are placed right next to the station.  It may not be a problem during quiet hours, but when traffic if high, the garbage and recycling bins are filled to the top and eventually, waste and recyclables fall right into the station.  I asked a few students what they think of the bottle filling stations, particularly in the UC Cafe:

“I never even knew we had something like that. I usually bring my own water," said Frank Faber, ’14.  "I never drank out of the water fountains and I probably never will, but if you’re talking about the one that fills up the bottle, probably. I’m EMT-certified and I cannot give CPR if I’m sick, which is why I never drink out of water fountains.”

“I use them in the gym all the time. I don’t really see the fountain in the corner [of the UC Café]," said Brijen Patel, ’14.  "I didn’t realize that there was garbage around the fountain, but I’ll keep a look out for it next time.  It would be cool to have them all around campus; in Resident Halls and even outside, especially during the summer.”

“I use them, but once in a while, they are dirty," said Claudio Ventura ’16.  "I use the ones in Waldo and in the gym.  Besides that, I like them.  It’s in a bad spot.  They should move the garbage cans to somewhere else.”

Bottle Filling Station in Earle Hall.
Photo by Ammie Lin.
On February 11th, 12:00-3:00pm, I also noticed that laundry detergent was bubbling out of the drain of the bottle filling station in Earle Hall.  

Bottle filling station with detergent bubbles.


In addition to how they feel about having these stations on campus, I asked a few students about this problem as well:

“My problem is that some of them don’t work," said Junior Leyba ‘14.  "I don’t think it’s safe if it’s connected to the laundry. It looks bad on the school because the water that they’re drinking isn’t sanitary.”

Joseph Rao fills up his
water bottle in Earle Hall.
Photo by Ammie Lin.
“Oh, I’m aware, said Joseph Rao.  "But I don’t see what the bubbles coming out of the drain have to do with the water coming out of the fountain. So, I don’t care. It doesn’t affect the water that I’m drinking.”

“Once in a while I fill up a bottle that I have in my room… I didn’t know that; it does sound concerning, said Taylor Ross, '12.  "I probably will drink this [bottle of water], but I won’t drink from the fountain anymore."


No comments:

Post a Comment