Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Vending Machine in the Library?

Photo credit: Michael Angel

Feeling hungry or tired? Need an instant rush of energy? Well, if you’re in the library, you’re out of luck, because the closest bite to eat is located in another building.


Vending machines exist in almost every other building at Adelphi.


Students at Adelphi have been wondering if there are vending machines in the library and when they realized that there aren’t, confusion, and frustration seem to be the popular reaction.

Library entrance, a possible vending machine location.




Library lobby, another possible vending machine location.


“I’m in the library and I’m studying and I have to go all the way to the Science Building or the PAC for a snack," said Sheba Varghese, ‘14.  "How could the library, out of all places, especially where people would probably need it the most, not have a vending machine? I really don’t understand this and I’ve talkd to many people about it and they have the same concern.”

“I think having to go to the UC to get food is the most annoying thing in the world," said Christine Matthew, ‘13.  "There should really be some vending machines here, especially when it gets late and you’re studying.  The UC and all the other buildings are closed.” 

“I don’t have a problem with it," said Michael Ganci, Library Evening Supervisor.  "My only concern is the books and the computers; spillage and that sort of thing cause we've had that problem before. When we get moldy or wet books back, we have to charge the students. So I’m not totally in favor but I’m not against it either. But if there were vending machines in the library, I’d be the first to use it.”

Library 2nd floor, Quan's suggested location for a vending machine.


“Honestly, I’ve never seen a vending machine in the library," said Quan Tran, Front Desk Lab Consultant.  "Do they even have one yet? I think it would be cool. Maybe one by the bathroom? Because if no one on shift with me, then I can’t get a bottle of soda.”


Although vending machines seem to be a great idea, the issue of having vending machines has been brought to the Student Government Association (SGA) and to Charles W. Simpson, the library Dean. Simpson said that they are in the process of hiring a new library dean, so issues such as this one will have to be held off.  On the other hand, Adelphi is not a big campus, the UC is not too far of a walk, and the library is not a cafeteria.

No comments:

Post a Comment