Sunday, March 24, 2013

Has "Health Services" Serviced You Well?

Adelphi University Health Services Center at Waldo Hall


As a resident, I use Adelphi's Health Services at least twice a semester.  I've been seen by EMTs (Emergency Medical Technicians), nurses, and NPs (Nurse Practitioners).  The thing that most frustrates students and myself is that we do not know what each position can and cannot do... we simply want to go to "the nurse" and expect the problem to be fixed by the time we leave.  Unfortunately, this is not always the case.

Although the Health Services Center is open 24/7 (except on special occasions), their services are limited and sometimes unsatisfactory.  On weekdays, from 8:00am to 4:00pm, a nurse is available and an NP is available with an appointment.  On weekdays, from 4:00pm-8:00am and weekends, an EMT is available.  I've been to Health Services for a variety of reasons and I find that  an NP should be available 24/7 because nurses and EMTs are not certified to do certain things, such as prescribe medicine or conduct a blood test.

Ms. Hawley (EMT) showed me how
to wrap my injured foot.
However, this is not to say that nurses and EMTs are useless.  In fact, when my foot was injured the other day, an EMT, Lauren Hawley, was able to take my blood pressure to make sure that I was not internally bleeding.  Ms. Hawley also provided me with three packs of ice and elastic bandage wraps, which she taught me how to use.  She even wrote a note to excuse me from work.  Other students also gave positive feedback:

"Health Services helped me a lot," said Charles Collura, '14.  "I had strep.  They actually gave me an examination; they actually prescribed medication for me. They're better than I thought it would be.  I think the problem is that most people assume that the health center is like the school nurse, who can give you a tissue and a band-aid... but it's actually a legitimate doctor. They actually know stuff."

Overall, the Adelphi Health Services staff does the best that they, but the lack of funding limits their services.

No comments:

Post a Comment